Friday the 7th was my last day in Mamelodi. It really snuck up on me, since we aren't going back to the States for another three weeks-- but in fact, only three or four of those days will be spent here in Pretoria. Unfortunately, my failure to acknowledge the end of my time at Viva made it hard for people to realize that I would not be seeing them again. A lot of people thought I was just leaving for summer vacation, so I had to explain many times that I would not be coming back in January.
Still, my last day was a lot of fun! There was another party, this time for the kids who go to Viva's day care. There was a barbecue and bounce-house (they call them "jumping-castles" here), and dozens of screaming kids. I spent the first hour or so carrying kids around on my shoulders, swinging them around, and standing still while they tried to climb up my body. This wasn't new-- after they got to know me, the 7-12 year old population of Alaska spent the past few months jumping on me and asking for shoulder-rides. Anyways, that was a lot of fun and I'm really gonna miss them; not only were they fun to be around, they gave me a nice workout whenever I lifted them up.
We'd brought a few Illini t-shirts/hats/etc to Pretoria with us to give away, so I took them in to give out to my friends. Since, all the shirts were larges, Aggie got the hat, which she said was great because her son had taken her old hat just a few days before. I gave shirts to Abie, Sipho, Lucky, Lucia, and Silisibu (no idea how to spell it), who proudly paraded around in their new garments. Since Bennett is really into basketball, I left him the ball that wasn't going to stay at Viva. I gave Fana my hat from Ford Motors hat that I'd gotten when the local Ford managers came in to donate a car.
We spent the next few hours playing a Parcheesi-esque game and taking pictures, before it came time for me to go. I had brought in the photo printer, so when Dad and Tim came to pick me up we printed off a picture of two for everyone there. After getting my goodbye hugs (or tackle, in Fana and Salminah's case) in, I left for good. If there's time, I'll try to visit again before heading back to the States, but most people are gone for Christmas, visiting family.
 |
| This "jumping castle" wasn't nearly as orderly as the ones on Family Day. |
 |
| Some of the kids didn't realize I only had two arms. At one point, however, I had a kid in each arm, one on my back, and one hanging from my neck. |
 |
| My favorites! Salminah and Fana. She even bought me a heart lollipop <3 |
 |
| Lucia, Abie, and Sipho decked out in the new Illinois gear. |
 |
| Showing off their shooting form. Illini Basketball! |
 |
| Meleney and Jared posing. |
 |
| Meleney again, this time with Leon. |
 |
| The whole family! Until Friday, I had no idea Lucia was Fana and Salminah's sister. |
 |
| Fana and his friend's "silly" picture. |
 |
| I was kind of worried about giving Lucky a large t-shirt since he's about 5'4", but it fits him surprisingly well. He tucks his shirts in, anyway, so the size probably won't matter that much. |
 |
| Last and DEFINITELY not least, Aggie (the Angel). |
No comments:
Post a Comment