As promised, here's a bunch of pictures I've taken over the past few weeks. Pardon the seemingly random order-- they seem that way because they are and I'm too tired to rearrange everything.
 |
| The view of Mamelodi from partway up the ridge. Mamelodi is actually huge-- what you see here is Alaska, the unofficial part of Mamelodi East. Viva is by the group of trees in the lower left corner. If you've got really good eyes you might be able to see the green roof of the office. |
 |
| Abie posing on the way down. He's directly over Lusaka, which is a slightly nicer part of Mamelodi East. |
 |
| Abie and Lucia during our lunch break atop the ridge. He's holding an umbrella, which we took because there are hardly any trees to provide shade. Actually, we took three but only used them on the way up because the wind was too powerful once we got high up. |
 |
| The hoop! |
 |
| It's not hard to see how an airball could lead to a ball on the roof. I was initially worried that the frequent collisions would weaken the fabric, but after a few hundred incidents there don't appear to be any issues. |
 |
| Bennett dribbling. He's the best player I've encountered here, being the only one with previous basketball experience. |
 |
| I like this picture because it highlights Bennett's pink slippers and the Wild Thornberry's van on the house in the background. |
 |
| When it gets too hot for the older people to play basketball, the card-playing begins. The game they're playing here is similar to what I call "Casino," with only a few differences. |
 |
| Took a break to climb around the second time we went up the ridge, but the storm clouds cut short the outing before Abie and I could try descending down a cliff. |
 |
| Last week the second TV crew came in and got some people to pretend to buy from one of the shops outside Viva. The cameraman had some very profound questions for me about America, namely "Is baseball really the national pastime, or is football bigger now?" |
 |
| In honor of the basketball team's quick start this season, here's a shop we found next to the University of Pretoria. |
 |
| Viva's resident cat had babies a few months ago, and these two spend their time playing tag and sleeping. |
 |
| The top of the ridge, overlooking Nellmapius (I think). |
 |
| Salminah is 7, and loves to take pictures with my camera. For some reason, however, she always resists being photographed herself. |
 |
| Salminah pleeeeeease! After leading me on a ten minute chase around and under tables, still not looking... |
 |
| ...still averting her gaze while emphatically resisting my pleas... |
 |
| ...and I blew my one chance to get a good picture with her. |
 |
| Finally, a picture of Tim being positively adorable on his birthday. |
Yay! Thank you for posting pictures Ezra. Love seeing where you all are. Great job with the blogging. Fill us in on what your brother and parents are up to too!
ReplyDeleteAWESOME
ReplyDelete