Friday, 12 October 2012

The Bane of my Existence

Without a doubt, my biggest problem with life in South Africa is the time difference. Being seven hours ahead of everyone back in C-U obviously makes it hard to communicate with everyone back home (nothing like the dead hours on twitter/facebook when everyone's asleep), but my real struggle has been fighting the temptation to stay up late and watch American sports. I call it my real struggle because so far, I've given in to the urge and delayed slumber way too much. I stayed up until 5 or so to watch Peyton's Broncos debut, and haven't made it to bed by 2 since the MLB postseason began.

Of course, I can live with this as long as things are going well. But when all I get for my troubles is a walk-off win for the bad guys, I seriously reconsider my decision to follow games live (and reach the conclusion that if anything changes, it'll be the fact that I have to be at work by 8:00).

With basketball season rapidly approaching, I fear that my addicion will only get worse. Maybe if South Africa cared about basketball and football, I could curb my enthusiasm by actually engaging in the sport. But it is not to be. Instead, I have doomed myself... doomed my self to a semester of pain. A semester of misery. A semester of  tooth-gnashing and torment. In short, a semester of parents nagging me to go to sleep.

At least I got to watch the Olympics in real time.

No comments:

Post a Comment